Thursday, October 30, 2008

Batman... er... Blockbuster Begins (again)


"I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your past [...] just know that there are those of us who care about what you do with your future."
--Alfred to Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins

     Surprise, surprise -- Rebecca's blogging today!  To my faithful readers: Thank you for reading this when I haven't written in over 5 months. :-)  I know most of you already know I'm busy and the gist of what is going on in my life, but just in case you don't... allow me to explain the last couple of months in this blog.  On Wednesday, August 13th I was at Disney with Maggie, Aaron and Joel.  I received several calls from people at my workplace making me wonder what was going on with my new-ish store manager of less-than 2 months.  To make a pretty long story short, I was the acting manager of Blockbuster from August 14th through October 19th.  With only 7 months of being an assistant manager under my belt this was quite an undertaking resulting in a few weeks of 50+ hours dedicated to the store.  I was excited when I found out our store would be getting a new store manager as of Monday, October 20th.  Though it didn't end up being Ed -- who was originally going to take over the store -- I still felt a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

     Monday morning came and I texted Ed right after rolling out of bed to see if the district manager Laurie was still heading to my store with the new store manager Allyson.  Instead of texting me back he called me.  He informed me Laurie was indeed stopping in.  I thought that would be the end of the conversation but then came a question I'll never forget, "Hey, Rebecca.  Just for giggles, what would you think of joining me at Palm Bay as my assistant?"  Having just woken up I was quite groggy and barely managed to mumble, "Uh... well... I guess I could think about it."  He told me he felt he needed an assistant with a bit more experience and would love it if I would join him, but he would have to run it past Laurie first.

     *buzz buzz*  My phone vibrated in my pocket within the next hour or so reading "Yes. It looks like you'll be coming here with me next week."  What?!  They'd decided for me.  Geez...  If it's not one thing it's another I thought to myself.  Strangely, though I'd been at the store I was standing in at that very moment for 20 months, I felt complete peace about the decision made for me.  Driving 25 extra miles per day that I worked?  Peace.  But I might still be making the same amount of money!  Peace.  A new staff and customer base!  Peace.  Wow.  I have one week left here.  Peace.  Later that day I found out Aaron's grandma had breast cancer.  Another bump in the road, but... Peace.

     LaVerne had a lumpectomy on Friday last week and as far as her doctors can tell her cancer was caught early enough that it did not spread.  Sunday was my last day at what will always be my home store and I was there from open to close.  People trickled in all day saying their goodbyes, hugging me and wishing me well in life.  One of my employees bought me ice cream and a sweet card reminding me of the good memories I've shared with him.  As I dropped my keys in the movie dropbox that night I broke down not allowing my emotions to spill over until I was no longer driving.  Why was this so hard?  It was just work for crying out loud!  But all the memories... the lives God allowed me to touch... the spiritual work I felt as though I still had left to do...  Eventually?  Peace.

     Monday morning was nearly as difficult as Sunday had been, but God allowed my first drive to my new store to be uneventful and I got to work on time.  I'd seen the state of the store, but I didn't fully comprehend the hard work set before me until that day.  And yet, I still felt as if this was a fresh start.  Though Alfred from Batman Begins' theology may have been a little bit off, I couldn't help but think of that quote since my mind tends to memorize silly things like that automatically when I've heard a particular movie no less than 30 times.  The past is the past and I've learned a lot.  What will I do with my future?  Will I allow myself to dwell on things I didn't get to accomplish yet or will I blossom in this new environment as I make new friends and plant fresh seeds?  I'm human, but the latter is my goal and the desire of my heart.  In a message to the church of Philadelphia in Revelation 3:8 it says "I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close.  You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me."  This is the promise to which I cling as well as the goal I set before me during this upcoming season of life.

     As it turns out, I will have company for a little while at my apartment!  Chanel will be occupying my guest bedroom for a bit as she saves up some money for a place of her own.  Be reassured, reader:  God knows exactly what you need and precisely when you need it.  Though you may be facing some challenges in life and though they may be looming over you in your mind, trust Him -- His plans are perfect, His will is good.  He knows what you can handle and he will not place you in a position that you are not ready for.  Carry on with me -- we can do this with Christ as our strength!

    The new, crisp autumn breeze speaks of change.  Don't fight it, but fly on it.  Don't fight Him, but soar with him on wings of eagles.


Trusting in His purpose for me,
Rebecca M. L'Allier

2 comments:

This IS our life! said...

Praying for you girl! HUGS

Bethany Joy said...

can't believe i'm just now reading this. feels like we haven't talked in forever! i had no idea about the job or laverne. know that i am praying for you, i'm proud of you, and i believe the best is yet to come! my phone drowned this weekend, but i get a new one on wednesday. we'll talk soon! love you lots. have a great week! tell aaron i'm praying for him too! <3