Tuesday, January 22, 2008

God - What Are You Already Doing That I Can Bless?


Yesterday I had the honor of observing a worship band practice.  It started off really rough and an hour and a half of band practice was spent with everyone sort of at odds at one another.  Opinions were clashing and songs -- both new and old -- were creating varied disputes.  The attitudes of every band member confirmed my suspicions that things needed to be dealt with.  Since I was no more than an observer, all I could really do was pray.  (This is true of a great number of situations we all find ourselves in, isn't it?)  Finally, it got to the point where everything was sounding sloppy and they stopped practice.

Everyone sat down in a circle and had a chance to share their opinion of what they thought was wrong.  After they had made some decisions, they went around the circle and prayed.  I saw a drastic change in each person's attitude and heart.  Most of them thanked God for the opportunity to worship Him together and apologized for not using the past hour and a half to do so.  When they finished praying they only had 5 minutes before the official practice ended.  I will never forget what I saw next...

They practiced their last song (which happened to be "Amazing Grace") and then they just started jamming.  It takes a lot to sound good as an entire band while "jamming."  I saw teamwork.  I saw them visually encouraging one another.  I saw smiles and I heard laughter.  The most beautiful part of the whole 20-minute session was something that I doubt if anyone else even caught.  During practice they had practically forgotten there were other people on stage with them.  But after "practice" ended, they were all faced inward towards one another -- hanging on each other's every move, strum, finger-pick, note and beat.  I started crying as I sat there remembering that's just what God calls us to do -- look inward toward Him and listen to His calling, feeding off of the strength He gives us.  One of the band members quoted something from a book during prayer that really spoke to me, too.  He said that while we often ask God "What can I do that you will bless," we should really be asking Him "What are you already doing that I can bless?"  I often forget that He's already started such beautiful ministries that just need some tender loving care.  All we have to do is just look around -- there are hurting people everywhere!  We have the opportunity -- the privilege! -- of ministering to them.  Why spend our energy arguing when we can be encouraging one another?  And yet it's so easy to do.  I want to take a stand and make a difference.  Not tomorrow or next year -- now.  Will you stand with me?

I hope you find this reminder of the truths we so often forget as much of a blessing as I did.

No comments: